Financial Resources

There are a wide variety of financial programs that provide support to individuals with disabilities.  Services are funded and managed through a variety of federal, state and county programs.





Where To Start

There are three steps in determining if your child is eligible for services.

Minnesota Health Care Programs - MHCP

Minnesota Health Care Programs are publicly funded health insurance programs, including Medical Assistance (MA),TEFRA, and MinnesotaCare.

Personal Care Assistance - PCA

Personal care assistants provide day-to-day assistance and support to individuals with disabilities to help them be more independent in their homes and in the community.

Home Care Services

Home care services provide medical and health-related services and assistance with day-to-day activities in the home.

Waivered Services

Waivered Services is a federally-funded program that allows states to "waive" traditional Medicaid guidelines, allowing individuals to receive services in their homes and communities instead of receiving these services in institutions, nursing homes or medical facilities.

Consumer Directed Services

Consumer Directed Services are options for individuals who would like the freedom and responsibility of directing their own care.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid - MSA

Minnesota Supplemental Aid is a state-funded program that provides a monthly cash payment to people with disabilities who receive Supplemental Security Income or would qualify except for excess income.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Supplemental Security Income is a federal needs-based program. It is for children and adults who have not been able to work or have not worked enough to pay into the Social Security System.

Social Security Disability Income (SSDI)

Social Security Disability Income is a federal insurance program funded by payroll taxes. It is for individuals who have been in the workforce, have paid into the Social Security System, and have become disabled and are unable to work -- with some exceptions.


A Supplemental or Special Needs Trust can be established for the sole benefit of a person with a disability to cover reasonable living expenses beyond what public programs can provide.